Monday, January 16, 2006

Conquering The Universe

Moving on after the Chicago Bears heart-breaking 21-29 loss to the Carolina Panthers in yesterday's NFC Divisional Playoff Game has been tough...But I am trying...In that spirit... Dark Horizons has posted the 2006 film slate for Universal Pictures. Here's a handful of movies that caught my attention on the list:

The Good Shepherd has one of the greatest actors of our age, Robert De Niro, pulling double duty as both director and star. Hellion sounds like an intriguing premise for a film. It will be interesting to see if star Josh Holloway, from TV's hit series Lost can carry a major motion picture. Director Brian De Palma comes out of a 4 year "hiatus" to helm The Black Dahlia, a film that examines the real-life murder mystery of a Hollywood starlet in 1947. The movie stars another "Josh" as in Hartnett, Scarlett Johansson, and Hilary Swank and is based on author James Ellroy's novel about the case. An animated feature of Curious George, the popular children's character with his own series of books. It's a good thing that Michael Mann (I) is directing the big screen adaptation of his stylish television drama of the 80's, Miami Vice, so that the chances that it wont be a bomb, are that much better. Take a look at the trailer and see what you think. Southland Tales caught my eye, because of who's involved, rather than the plot description. I enjoyed Richard Kelly's time bending film Donnie Darko quite a lot, and as a fan of TV's Buffy The Vampire Slayer (where my "crush" on actress Sarah Michelle Gellar got started) I'm interested in anything she appears in. I have my doubts about The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Ho-Hum...And then of course there's the all important Flight 93, which I discussed in the post called "Are We Ready...?"

No comments: