Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Re: Action

Before I get into today's subject--A little backstory first:

Comic books were a big part of my life for almost 18 years. But movies came first...Fact is, I didn't really start collecting the super hero chronicles until after the original Supes movie series was at its peak, circa 1980...At one time though, I was buying some 30 titles a month, from both the DC and Marvel universes. When all was said and done I had amassed some 1,000-plus books. As college loomed, my free time waned and I stopped collecting, save for the occasional graphic novel or collected series one shot--which I still do today.



When news came that director Richard Donner was teaming up with award winning writer Geoff Johns to create a new Superman storyline for Action Comics, I was intrigued by the idea, more than excited...Here's why: I had not bought a standard book in so long I wasn't sure if I wanted to get back into the game of waiting for the next issue to arrive. Do I bide my time for the collected version of the story to arrive at a later date? Decisions. Decisions.

Nisha Gopalan of Entertainment Weekly, offering up a preview, of the tale on the mag's website, helped make up my mind for me.

Check out a few pages of "Action Comics: Last Son": When a new Kyptonian boy is discovered, the Man of Steel is resolved to protect him


Think of this story as Donner's chance to do Superman III-if you will. Had he been allowed to continue with the film series--this might have been where things would have gone...

A super kid ala`Superman Returns ???!! I hope it's more than that!! I 'm enticed enough by what I saw here though to check things out first run. For his part, Johns recently discussed the storyline with Newsrama. Read the complete interview right here.

The art by Adam Kubert looks very very nice. He is also talking about the project to Comicon Pule

The saga begins in Action Comics #844.

No comments: