Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Reaction And Inaction

Coverage leading up to the 79th Annual Academy Awards continues...



Jeff Sneider and Jill Feiwell of Variety have compiled a heap of reactions from this year's nominees. Here's a sample of what some of them had to say:

"I'm very surprised," said "Half Nelson's" Ryan Gosling. "I was convinced that it wasn't gonna happen, and I knew that my manager was up watching TV, so I called her to try and make her feel better, and before I could say, 'I told you not to be disappointed,' she said, 'What do you mean, they haven't announced it yet.'

"Then I heard this huge squeal and car crash out my window. I went to have a look and saw that a cop on a bike had been hit and thrown into the middle of the intersection. Before (the nomination) settled in, I had to watch this poor guy get put into an ambulance.

"It was on the news a little later and he only broke an arm, so it turned out to be a good day for both of us, but the polar extreme of that moment for him and I left me speechless for a little while."

"My wife and I snuck downstairs while the kids were asleep and we watched it together on TV," said "An Inconvenient Truth helmer Davis Guggenheim. "Al (Gore) and I had a nice talk and he's over the moon. It's exciting that he's going to be recognized, and when he walks down the red carpet next month, it's going to be a hero's walk. He's tried to tell this story for almost 40 years, and now people are finally listening."

"I'm not sure what it is, but I seem to be having a pretty good day," exclaimed "Little Children"'s Jackie Earle Haley.

"Needless to say, I did a little tossing and turning last night. My wife, Amelia, got up early and I was pretending to sleep. She came into the bed-room screaming and crying and absolutely beside herself yelling, 'You got it, you got it!' I was totally overwhelmed with emotion. We just held each other and cried and shared the experience.

"With everything I've been through and experienced, for the Academy to vote and include me, it's a wonderful, validating feeling."...


"I'm extremely batty. I hope this nomination will drive audiences to see the film. It deserves to be seen. That's why you make films," said "Babel" screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga.

"When I was 9 years old, I used to practice my 'I'd like to thank...' speech in front of my brothers with a Coke bottle (as a mic). I hope to do it for real this year."...


Now that he has the supporting actor nomination in the bag, Mark Wahlberg said that his Tuesday afternoon golf game with brother Paul would likely curry favor to his older sibling.

"He may beat me today as I'm not too concerned about golf," "The Departed" star said. Of his nomination, Wahlberg said the real sweet spot was making mom and dad proud. "I was able to put my real-life experiences with the Boston Police to good use after all," he said. "After all the torture I have put them through, to know they cried happy tears today. I'll think about that for a while."


“I am very pleased that ‘The Departed’ has been honored with five nominations for this year’s Academy Awards. I am particularly happy that the hard work of the entire cast and crew has been rewarded with a Best Picture nomination and that the specific contributions of Mark Wahlberg, our screenwriter William Monahan, and my longtime editor Thelma Schoonmaker have been recognized with nominations as well," said Martin Scorsese, Best Director nominee for “The Departed”

Helen Mirren phoned from the set of "Inkheart," and had just wrapped a scene in which the characters get showered by gold coins from above. It, she said, "was very appropriate."

Retelling her tale of nomination morning, she added: "My heart started pounding. I was on hold with the 'Today' show -- they had me on the line in case I was nominated -- and doing a Sudoku puzzle.

"I thought this is going to be so embarrassing if I'm not nominated, because there's always doubt. When you've had a career as long and wonderful as I have, there are ups and downs and disappointments. You get used to them. You can't let them influence your life and work too much." ...


Forest Whitaker plans to celebrate his actor nomination by taking his wife out for a night of dinner and dancing. Thesp is in Gotham to promote "Last King of Scotland," just going into wide release.

"I worked hard on this character and put so much of my spirit and soul into it," he said. "Now let's fill those theater seats." ...


"I can't remember who told me because I was in the middle of shooting 'The Bourne Ultimatum'" said "United 93" director Paul Greengrass.

"I'm very proud to represent those families and those who played a part in 9/11, from the air traffic controllers to law enforcement officials.

"You can never escape the tragedy of what happened and the enduring pain, and of course, there are great questions and challenges that remain with us in the wake of those events.

"You have to take this nomination with humility in the face of those events."
...

"The Pursuit of Happyness" actor contender Will Smith, who is on location in Gotham lensing "I Am Legend," said: "Congratulations to all of the nominees. It is a great honor to be considered among this caliber of performers. No competition, all celebration. Let the parties begin." ...

Read more nomination reactions...

Meanwhile, fellow Variety scribe Timothy M. Gray reports on all of the Oscar snubs

No comments: