Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Part Of The Rule Rather Than The Exception



Zogby International recently conducted a poll about the viewing habits of movie-goers Some of the findings proved rather interesting and might well send a few chills down the spines of the suits at the film studios.

Theaters may may have the biggest screens and superior surround sound systems to ticket buyers, but according to the findings:

Most would rather stay in the comfortable confines of home and watch DVDs, the survey showed. The majority (63%) said they would rather have free unlimited DVD rentals with no late fees for a year than a year’s worth of free unlimited movie passes (30%).

High ticket prices (30%) and a dislike for the movie selections (30%) were the main reasons given for falling attendance – 13% said they don’t like the crowds in the theater. Those aged 18-24 are most likely to complain about costly tickets – nearly half (46%) said high ticket prices have kept them away from the theater. Among older adults, dissatisfaction with the film selections are the main deterrent – 46% of those age 65 or older echoed these same sentiments.

Nearly half (45%) said that, while they still go to the movies, their movie attendance has decreased from five years ago – 27% said it is much less, and 9% said they never go to the movies anymore..

Lastly the poll indicated: “[And] the oldest respondents (age 70 or older) were most likely to say they no longer go to the movies at all (23%).”

Speaking for myself: I definitely don't go to the theater as often as I used to. And I'm right in line with the majority, in that I would rather stay in and rent a movie, than go out....What's worse--I don't have a home theater system and I still feel that way.

The turnaround time for a film--from multiplex to disc--has also influenced my habits. It's so fast now that I figure why go to all of that trouble and expense-- when I will be able to see any theatrical release in a few months time?

I see more films theatrically over the summer now over any other time of year...

My how our movie-going habits have changed...

The solution for the studios? Get rid of all those ads before the film starts. Lower ticket prices. And MOST importantly: MAKE BETTER MOVIES!!!

No comments: