Thursday, February 08, 2007

I'm Getting Space Sick



There's been so much internet chatter back and forth, about whether or not JJ Abrams is still involved with Star Trek XI, that it's given me a Klingon-sized headache.

Flmforce at IGN tries to sort it all out...

[Please Note: A few of the links in the story were added by me--while others were provided by IGN.]

Last week brought word that J.J. Abrams was off Star Trek XI, a claim that was denied by J.J. Abrams himself to Ain't It Cool News and by the filmmaker's reps at William Morris Agency and his production company, Bad Robot.

Now Latino Review -- the site that first reported "J.J. Abrams is out of Star Trek XI!" -- says that Abrams will not direct Trek XI, but will instead helm another Paramount film titled Cloverfield.

It must be noted that Abrams was never officially announced as the director of Star Trek XI.

While it was known Abrams was producing the film, whether or not he was directing it has remained a point of speculation.

A report in December initially claimed that Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman had confirmed Abrams as the film's director to Variety, but this was later clarified. According to transcripts of Dauman's comments, available at Trekmovie.com, Dauman did not actually confirm Variety's claim that Abrams was helming it.

Earlier this week, IGN asked Abrams' lifelong friend and frequent collaborator Greg Grunberg whether Abrams was directing Trek XI or not, and the actor revealed, "I keep hearing the same thing. One week he tells me he's not sure. One week, he told me, 'No. I'm definitely just producing.' And then just last week he was like, 'Man, I'm really excited to do it.' I said, 'Are you doing it?' He said, 'I don't know.' I mean, honestly, it's like he's still really up in the air. But he's really happy with the script. I know that. Really, really happy. I can't wait to read it."

So Abrams was never officially onboard the project as director and, should Latino Review's report bear out, he never will direct it. But that is not the same as "J.J. Abrams is out of Star Trek XI!" -- unless he opts out of producing the picture, too. By all accounts, however, that doesn't appear to be his intention.

...That's why some sites, including IGN, were gun-shy about couching earlier Trek reports in that way.

A couple of questions to ask about all of this:

Why does Latino Review continue to post such nonsense about Trek XI without at least verifying sources a little better?

I knew the initial story was bogus when I first read it last week--When the story didn't hit any of the major news outlets...That's why I didn't cover it. Is LR against Abrams' being involved with Trek?

Why wouldn't Abrams want to direct this film? What's taking so long for him to decide? He would help himself a lot if he would just make a decision so that we can all move on...Jeebus!

Is it a matter of money? Fear of screwing up the franchise? To be honest I think Abrams is the only one who can direct his material the way it should be done.

All of this is just ridiculous Someone needs to make a decision and put this issue to bed...and now.

No comments: