Sunday, May 31, 2015

Next Spidey Decision Soon--Who Tested?

Despite reports that "Ender's Game" and "Hugo" star Asa Butterfield was all but set to play Spider-Man as a result of the deal between Sony Pictures and Marvel to have him integrate as a part of the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe--Heat Vision says the casting is still very much in flux with a shortlist of six possible candidates whom have all screen-tested in Atlanta for Marvel and Sony brass. Former Spidey Andrew Garfield is out.

Along with Butterfield and the previously reported on Tom Holland (In the Heart of the Sea), Judah Lewis (Demolition), (Pixels), Charlie Plummer (Boardwalk Empire) and Charlie Rowe (Red Band Society) comprise the latest list of hopefuls.

The other contenders along the way included Nat Wolff (The Fault in Our Stars),Timothee Chalamet ("Interstellar," "The Adderall Diaries") and Liam James (The Way Way Back). There were reports that Lab Rats star Billy Unger had been added to the list--Unger has since denied the chatter on Instagram.=

When the deal first came down two names were quickly mentioned as potentials to take over the role- Teen Wolf series co-star and NJ native Dylan O'Brien and  Fury co-star Logan Lerman. Both are 23 years old, both have scored good notices for their work and both could still play high school age. Bad Ass Digest reported in March that 16 -year-old actor Mateus Ward ("Murder in the First") auditioned for the role.

The plan is to stick with Peter Parker rather than introduce the more recent 13-year-old, half black, half Hispanic Miles Morales who became Spider-Man in the "Ultimate Spider-Man" storyline. It would also confirm rumors that the studio is going much younger than previous incarnations, and looking at true teenagers for the role.

 Jonathan Levine (Warm Bodies), Ted Melfi (St. Vincent), Jason Moore (Pitch Perfect), John Francis Daley & Jonathan M. Goldstein (Vacation remake) and Jared Hess (Napoleon Dynamite) are all reportedly in contention to direct the Untitled Reboot of the film series--Drew Goddard, who was originally slated to write and direct the Spidey spin-off "The Sinister Six," was considered the frontrunner to call the shots--but is seemingly moving on.

The film is reportedly a coming of age tale that is targeting a John Hughes-style blend of emotion and humor amid the superhero stuff . There's also said to be plans to tell the story over several films with each covering a year of high school for Peter Parker who is already been bitten by that radioactive spider.

Parker is expected to make his first appearance in the MCU in "Captain America: Civil War" which has started filming. Parker's scenes are expected to be shot in June.

 Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are set to produce the pic.`

El Mayimbe says that the title for the solo film--set for a July 28th 2017 release--may be "Spider-Man: The New Avenger". This would certainly clue audiences in on the direction the series is now headed.

No comments: