Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar '06 At Random

I started watching the 78th Annual Academy Awards right as the show kicked off at 8:OO PM EST, feeling pretty sure that my pick for best film of the year was going to lose, "oh, well", I thought, "the best I can hope for is that the show will be entertaining". It's weird how my hopes for the night got flipped around. My pick did win the top prize, while the show itself, was at times, almost too painful to watch.

Here now are my thoughts,on both the good and bad, about OSCARS '06

Host Jon Stewart seemed very uncomfortable doing his thing. Most of jokes fell flat and were met with, what sounded like "forced laughter" from the crowd. I liked the opening bit though with past hosts, Crystal, Martin, Goldberg, Rock, and Letterman. Very funny. But seeing them just reminds you how much Stewart had to live up to...His best joke: "Good Night, And Good Luck", that's what George Clooney says to women at the end of a date. If you think I'm the only person who thought Stewart didn't do so well, please read TV Review: Jon Stewart was disappointing host of bland Oscarcast as well as the thoughts of Maureen Ryan from The Chicago Tribune.

Whose idea was it to have orchestra conductor Bill Conti underscore every speech? I know they wanted to keep things moving, but I would almost have rather had the speeches cut off in mid-sentence, then have to hear low random tunes as the winners were talking. It got annoying pretty fast. There has to be a better way.

I must admit, as a fan of screen legend Lauren Bacall, I felt very bad for her as she stuttered her way through the intro for the Film Noir Montage. I wish things could have been different for her. All I wanted to do was reach inside my TV and help her.

I really am glad that the Academy finally decided to honor director Robert Altman for a great body of work. He was long overdue. His acceptance speech was one of grace and class--sprinkled with wit. Bravo

Best Presenters: Will Ferrell and Steve Carell for the Best Make-up category Funny bit; Lily Tomlin and Meryl Streep were hilarious with there tribute to Altman

Worst Presenter: Ben Stiller in his "green screen" 'tards presenting the award for best effects Very unfunny for a very funny guy.

Best Acceptance Speech Reese Witherspoon for her role as June Carter Cash in Walk the Line. Hands down the most "real" moment of the night. I'm glad that they allowed her to finish her thoughts before she walked off stage.

Worst Acceptance Speech: Clooney, when he accepted his best supporting actor honor said the following:

“...And finally, I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while, I think. It’s probably a good thing. Uhm, we’re the ones who talk about AIDS when it was just being whispered. And we talked about civil rights when it wasn’t really popular. And we, uh, you know, we bring up subjects…we are the ones…this Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I’m proud to be a part of this Academy. I’m proud to be part of this community. I’m proud to be out of touch. And I thank you so much for this.”

Ugh! Congrats on the award really...Way to go!! But if I waited for Hollywood's rich and famous to solve the world's ills...nothing would ever be solved. Kinda like the feds....wouldn't you say? Proud to be out of touch? Just remember, even some of us who happen to disagree with you, and are supposedly "in touch" still helped you get where you are today. Why not just thank mom and dad, your buds at ER, and maybe someone who worked on Syriana with you, instead of making a rather pompous sounding statement. Just a suggestion for next time.

I'm thrilled that Crash pulled the upset I was hoping for!! BEST PICTURE!!! YESS!!!

Despite those highlights, the 3 and a half hour+ telecast, was a snoozer overall. PLEASE BRING BACK BILLY CRYSTALL NEXT YEAR...

Congrats to all of last night's winners and fellow nominees for making it an interesting race.

No comments: