Wednesday, May 31, 2006

An Early Arrival, Making Tracks, And Trailer #3

There's a lot of Superman Returns news to discuss today. I'll begin with a slight shift of the release date.

Warner Bros. representatives announced yesterday that the film will now be opening on Wednesday, June 28th across America--rather than June 30th as originally expected.

No official word has been given yet on why this change has been made. But I think it's safe to say that last weekend's record breaking 4 day total for X-MEN:The Last Stand played some part in the decision to move up the release by 2 days. Pamela McClintock and Ben Fritz of Variety seem to back me up:

The change in dates, designed to maximize grosses over the July Fourth holiday -- which falls on a Tuesday -- essentially gives the studio a seven-day weekend.

Nevertheless, I'm thrilled, because right now I'm scheduled to be otherwise occupied on the 30th. Moving up the date means that I will now be able to see it on opening day.

Meanwhile, John Ottman appeared on the Encore Movie Channel's Cinenews series to discuss pulling double duty on Superman Returns, as both film editor and composer. Soon after, the segment ran, it popped up on You Tube.

Click here for John Ottman Interview

In related news, Rhino Records has released the track listing for the official "Superman Returns" score soundtrack:

Main Titles (3:49)
Memories (3:07)
Rough Flight (5:13)
Little Secrets/Power Of The Sun (2:49)
Bank Job (2:21)
How Could You Leave Us? (5:49)
Tell Me Everything (3:13)
You're Not One Of Them (2:22)
Not Like The Train Set (5:12)
So Long Superman (5:31)
The People You Care For (3:27)

I Wanted You To Know (2:56)
Saving The World (3:12)
In The Hands Of Mortals (2:11)
Reprise/Fly Away (4:15)


Soundtrack.net has posted an exclusive preview of the CD. Jonathan Jarry will take you on a listening tour with sound clips and analysis It is scheduled to hit store shelves on June 27th, but the soundtrack is available for pre-order from Amazon. And yes, I have already placed an order for my copy.

Finally, a third theatrical trailer played before X-3, when I saw it last Friday...The 2:00 minute preview gives away more plot details. Specifically, Lex Luthor's plan in the movie. While I enjoyed seeing this peek on the big screen, was a new trailer really necessary? I say "No". With the teaser and first theatrical trailer out there, not to mention the international trailer, that's enough (I can't believe I just typed that)...

If you don't mind spoilers--Here is number 3... as a Quictime file.

No comments: