Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Eye Of The Beholder

The folks at IGN-FilmForce offer a first look at the theatrical one sheet poster for Superman Returns:




To be honest, it's not all that eye-catching, if you ask me. It doesn't make me go "Wow"!

By way of comparison-The poster for the 1978 film worked much better on a symbolic level:


I just think in this case symbols are all that's required. I realize that was what the SR teaser poster was for...



...And they wanted a different look for the one sheet.

I know the image of a solemn Superman hovering above the Earth is meant to evoke a scene from the comics--made famous by artist Alex Ross... As depicted though, it looks as though the caped wonder is about to dive into a swimming pool. And why have his back to the planet? I thought he was "returning" in the film? He should be flying or facing forward. No?

I love picking nits.

No comments: