Monday, May 01, 2006

Outside The Norm

I think it's safe to say, those of us who watch the the box office numbers on a regular basis, were more curious to see how things would end up this particular weekend...than any other in recent memory. Thanks, of course, to the wide release of the controversial September 11th film United 93.

Regular readers of The Last Reel already know that I support films revisiting the terror attacks as a matter of reminding us of the kind of enemies we face. Given all of the media attention (both for and against) the movie's release has gotten, I thought the drama did as well as it could. Industry analysts are split on whether or not to call the United 93 bow a true success..

Box Office Mojo's Brandon Gray highlights the numbers for the nations top 3 flicks:

'RV' careened into the top spot with an estimated $16.4 million, and 'United 93' landed at a decent second place with an estimated $11.6 million amidst a media frenzy. 'Stick It! (with $11.2 Million estimated in ticket receipts),' though, was the weekend's most successful picture relative to expectations...

Here's Gray's full report...Meanwhile, I thought you might like to read Scott Holleran's (also from Box Office Mojo) thoughtful review of United 93 for some interesting perspective on the film...As for me I have yet to see it...but when I do...I will let you know for sure...

No comments: