Monday, May 15, 2006

X Factor

If you ask me, the media push for X-3: The Last Stand, by 20th Century Fox has reached "epic" proportions. And for the first time since before I saw the teaser trailer, it has me wondering about the film's merits:

Last week the studio provided the masses with a 7 minute montage from the movie. Now, word comes from The Movie Reporter (AKA IESB) that the studio has released 18 "film clips" from the sequel, as well as a new behind the scenes featurette titled, “The Cure”.

I can see the studio giving us a few more peeks before the May 26 premiere... but 18 scenes and a featurette? Normally, I'm OK with the the concept of spoilers, but in this case it's overkill. Why not just release the whole flick and save us all the trouble?

In my opinion, there's only one reason to have all this stuff out there, and that's so the studio can gage public reaction and excitement over the footage. If you need this much pre-release material 2 weeks out all I see is a red flag for the movie... As I say 3 or 5 clips is fine but 18 goes too far. I hope I'm wrong---Time will tell.

No comments: