Wednesday, June 14, 2006

With Friends Like This...

It's been quite a long time since I've seen anything of interest about the Pellicano wiretapping case of late. And then, poof, I found this Studio Briefing blurb on Monday:

Pellicano Says He Won't Rat on Clients

Former private detective Anthony Pellicano is aware that some of his former clients will likely testify against him if he is prosecuted under federal wire-tap laws, but, he told the Los Angeles Times, he will never do the same against them. "My loyalty never dies," Pellicano, speaking by telephone from prison, told the newspaper in Sunday's edition. "You're not going to see me take the stand against the clients and employees and other people that are going to be testifying against me. I didn't rat them out. You understand? I am never going to besmirch a client or any other person that I gave my trust to or who gave their trust to me. I'm never going to do that. I am going to be a man until I fall -- if, in fact, that happens."

Pellicano also claimed that the government has exaggerated its case against him and has failed to produce tapes of alleged wire-tapped conversation. "They have never provided them to us in discovery. And they never will. Because they don't exist," Pellicano said. The jailed private eye also defended celebrity attorney Bert Fields. "There is no way in the world that any lawyer who has got any brains is going to hire somebody to do something illegal," Pellicano said. "And of all the people in the world to suspect it of: Bert Fields? Mr. Clean Jeans? Mr. Straight Arrow? My God, I don't think I've even heard him curse in the entire time I've known him -- let alone say, 'Hey, Pellicano, I want you to go out and do this or do that.' I mean, Come on."

If Pelilcano's claims about the government failure to produce any tapes are true--then why is the case moving ahead? I would like to think that the prosecutors in the case would not be wasting all this time and money for a wild goose chase. Oh wait, that describes the Duke Rape Case, doesn't it?!

No comments: