Tuesday, June 27, 2006

It's Official

While none of the latest information regarding two high profile flicks, came as a surprise to me, I have to say, I'm disappointed that the Logan's Run remake has to find a new director.

Via Sci-Fi Wire:

Director Bryan Singer told Dark Horizons that he's not going to helm the much-anticipated proposed remake of the SF movie Logan's Run—at least not right now. "At the moment, I'm not," Singer told the site while promoting his upcoming Superman Returns.

At the moment I'm buying myself sort of a vacation of the mind. I need to, because this film [Superman Returns] and all the things I was doing simultaneously with this film were a monumental stress to me, both physically and mentally. And as of last night, ... I need to do a [press] tour and talk and things, and I'm more than happy and excited to do that because I'm proud of the movie, but I have to take a mental break and actually not have any scheduled demands."

But Singer left open the door to returning to Logan's Run in the future. "I'll probably want to go back to work at some point, but for that movie, that's a huge movie, potentially a huge movie, and I was not ready to dive into it," he said.

When SCI FI Wire asked Singer earlier if he would do either an expected sequel to Superman Returns or Logan's Run, he said, simply, "I don't know."

I wonder if Singer's regular "relief pitcher" Brett Ratner, will be asked ti step in for him again?...

Meanwhile...Garth Frankln of Dark Horizons had this item:

Zach Snyder ("Dawn of the Dead", "300") has come aboard to develop and direct Warner Bros. long-gestating film adaptation of the 1986 twelve-issue comic series "Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons says The Hollywood Reporter.

"Watchmen", which tells the story of the last remaining superheroes and the events surrounding the mysterious murder of one of their own, was one of the first superhero comic books to present itself as serious literature and popularized the more adult-oriented "graphic novel" format. It is also the only graphic novel to have won a Hugo Award and to appear on Time Magazine's list of 100 best novels from 1923 to present.

Alex Tse is writing the script adaptation of the film which has been in development for over a decade, gone through at least four studios and had such luminaries as Terry Gilliam, Darren Aronofsky and Paul Greengrass attached to direct.

Snyder landed the job after impressing Warners with "300," an adaptation of a Frank Miller graphic novel that he directed and co-wrote that's due out next year.

I have said it before--Snyder makes a great choice to helm Watchmen--and I look forward to seeing the film version of "300"

No comments: