Sunday, June 18, 2006

In Honor Of Father's Day

My Dad isn't a real movie person. In fact, when I was growing up, I remember him only sitting down to watch a handful of films from start to finish. And actually going to the movie theater? Forget it--that occurred even less. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the last film he saw at the cineplex may have been Titanic, some 10 years ago. While he said at the time, that he enjoyed it, I'm sure the 3 hour + running time was still a bit of a challenge for him to sit through.

Among his favorites:

Patton (1970), The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957), The Godfather (1972), any movie that stars Sophia Loren, and Young Frankenstein (1974), 2 more contemporary flicks on his must see list--The Hunt for Red October (1990); the comedy What About Bob? --which actually made him shed tears from laughing so hard, the first time he watched it on a lazy Saturday afternoon with my Mom and me. I kid you not.

He may not be the world's biggest film fan, but my Dad, who turns 75 next month, is still a great man. Despite a few bumps in the road over the years, he has always been there for me, when I needed him most.

I love you Dad. Thanks for everything and Happy Father's Day 2006

No comments: