Sunday, March 11, 2007

Keeping It Reel

Two of my favorite film industry folk are having official biographies published about them in the near future....

The first time I heard the talents of composer Jerry Goldsmith (1929-2004 pictured right) was in the winter of 1980--during a trip to the movies with my sister. We had gone to see Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and not only did I become a Trekker after that trip, I also wanted to learn more about Mr. Goldsmith--becoming an instant fan. I would gobble up any of his soundtrack albums that I liked, and that I could get my hands on.

Goldsmith's approach to film music seemed to always fit whatever the genre of film, he had done, to a tee. Throughout his long career, he proved to be well suited for any genre, explain why he was a favorite in Hollywood. And why he worked with many of the same directors time and again...He was that good.

A quick personal side trip: Several years ago, while working on an independent short film that I developed with my buddy Matt, I had contacted Goldsmith's longtime assistant Lois Carruth, for permission to use music from his score to Sleeping with the Enemy in our project. Long story short. Our request was denied by 20th Century Fox, who held the rights for the music. We ultimately came up with another solution...And in fact, I kinda figured we would be told no, but why not go for it...

Portions of his daughter Carrie's upcoming biography about her father are now online at JerryGoldsmithOnline...Meanwhile, his son Joel, who is also a film music composer, has posted Chapter 1 of the book on his official site...Deconstructing Dad: The Unfinished Life and Times of Jerry Goldsmith looks like a really great book. No word yet on its release date, but as a fan, I can't wait to read it

Longtime readers of this blog already how much respect I have for director Richard Donner--It was his 1978 film, Superman-The Movie, that cultivated my interest in the process of making movies. It's the single biggest reason why I studied film in college.

Film critic and author James Christie is writing Donner's bio, titled, Inside Moves: The Life and Films of Richard Donner.

Here's a look:

Richard Donner is one of Hollywood's most popular and enduringly prolific commercial filmmakers. After five decades making motion pictures that have collectively grossed more than $2 billion at the global box-office, he - the driving force behind such iconic movies as The Omen, Superman, and Lethal Weapon, the cult classics Ladyhawke and The Goonies, and the resonate dramas Inside Moves and Radio Flyer - has demonstrated a level of sustained professional success that few if any can rival. And with Sam and George (starring Mel Gibson) announced for 2008, Donner's incredible track record as one of mainstream Hollywood's foremost filmmakers shows every sign of continuing well into the new millennium

Click here to read more....

Christie talks about the forthcoming biography here

No date is set for that book's release, but as I said before, I can't wait to read it.

Donner and Goldsmith worked together on the 1976 version of The Omen,--for which Goldsmith won his only OSCAR, and its blockbuster suceess helped put Donner on the map as a feature film director.

No comments: