Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Better Late Than Never

I know that the 25th Annual Academy Awards "Nominees Luncheon" happened on Monday, February 13 2006, and that I'm a little late in mentioning it now. I actually had intended to to write about this shindig sooner, but other film-worthy news got on the way.

Quite frankly, after reading several articles about the event, I got the impression that it was a pretty standard affair for this type of thing. Of course you had the "group photo", most of this year's contenders schmoozing with one another--all smiles--that is until the winners are announced on March 5th and the like. The attendees got to hear remarks from academy President Sid Ganis, as well as a lesson in award show do's and don'ts from telecast producer, Gil Cates. Ho-hum.

At a pre-luncheon presser though, three time nominee this year, George Clooney got a big laugh when he took jabs at the Vice President of the United States Dick Cheney and his current melee with the media over the hunting accident.

I love what Reuters reporter Arthur Spiegelman writes in his article, following Clooney's Cheney riff though:

On a serious note, Clooney added, "I don't really feel like I am going to win. I just like the idea of showing up.".

Click here to read the whole article.

What a great word to describe the prospect of Clooney not winning an OSCAR this year... as a serious matter. "Serious"ly, Spiegelman dude, get a grip...that my friend, isn't serious in the least...whether he wins or loses. Trust Me.

No comments: