Monday, February 13, 2006

You Got The Wrong Guy

It would seem that I owe Steve Martin and EW Magazine's Lisa Schwarzbaum an apology. In a post called "A little Spring In My Step", that I wrote on Friday, I said:

"Surely, Firewall has to be better than that pointless remake. You can take Steve Martin Mr Ford, with one hand tied behind your back and blindfolded, I know you can."

And I implied that Schwarzbaum was way off when she gave higher marks to Panther over Firewall. Since I have yet to see either film, I should not have "predicted" the weekend outcome, so soon.

The people have spoken...

The box office numbers from this past weekend proved that my sarcasm for the Pink Panther remake may have been misplaced. I thought for sure that, of the 4 films that opened this past weekend, Firewall would have led the pack. I couldn't have been more wrong.

According to Box Office Mojo's Brandon Gray:

'The Pink Panther' passed inspection with an estimated $21.7 million, narrowly wresting the weekend from horror hit 'Final Destination 3 ($21.1 million).' Meanwhile,'Curious George' ($15.3 million) swung past expectations and 'Firewall' secured little interest...(landing in 4th place with $13.8 million in ticket sales)

...4th place...4th place...

Click here to read Gray's entire report.

Apparently, that "pointless remake" made movie goers more "curious" (despite some negative reviews) to see Martin's take on Inspector Jacques Clouseau, (first made famous by the late great Peter Sellers, who still owns the role, as far as I'm concerned) than to see Ford playing yet another hero family man.

No comments: