Monday, February 13, 2006

Caped "Wonder" Visits Con

The media push for Superman Returns slowly continues...

Robert Sanchez and the folks at The Movie Reporter (aka IESB), have posted video of a media only press conference with Bryan Singer and Brandon Routh, after both men appeared at WonderCon over the weekend.

The two-part video, then leads into a one on one interview with Singer, conducted by Sanchez. By all accounts, when Routh showed up as a surprise for the main event, the audience went nuts. As for the presser itself, there was really nothing major that came out of it about SR. I was impressed with the way Routh handled himself. This was his first time at an event like this (facing fans and the press), and I thought he did quite well, especially when asked about the inevitable comparison between him, and the late Christopher Reeve.

The answer courtesy of ComicsContinuum:

"I'll say this about Chris and what he means to this film and how he's a part of this film," Routh said. "In my opinion as me as an actor portraying this role -- and I get asked questions like this a lot -- Superman is a really good character and here are these different people, not only actors, but artists who have drawn him and writers who have written for him in all these different incarnations, he's grown and he grows. "

"Each artist puts their own twist on it, but they take what everybody else did. They go, 'Ok, that's what Superman is, but there's this that I want to add to.' So, it's people slapping on layers of paint, right?"

"Chris, to me, is my biggest influence. So, of course, there's that presence there because he did it so well and he was the guy. I guess he is part of, because my portrayal is based on him as much as his was based on everybody else's."

Good answer. And that really means a lot to me--considering how much Reeve made the role of Superman his--even as the quality of the films went south. I grew up with Reeve playing the Man Of Steel, to me, no matter who else has stepped into the part since then, he set the standard.

The most juicy tid-bit that jumped out at me though, was when Singer mentioned during the one on one, that he is again teaming up with Usual Suspects writer Christopher McQuarrie for the remake of Logan's Run!

As for Routh, he is expected to show up to play in this year's NBA All-Star Celebrity Basketball Game, in Houston, TX for ESPN on Friday February 17th 2006. Here's the official press release from the BusinessWire.com website that says so

1 comment:

Matt said...

Singer has been talking about Logan's Run off and on for a few years now. I've seen bits and pieces of the original, but don't see the fascination.