Monday, February 06, 2006

Stranger Than Fiction

For some reason, I haven't yet received my weekly email on the weekend box office numbers, from the folks at Box Office Mojo...But I did get one from Variety last night:

As expected, the remake of When a Stranger Calls, took the top spot with a solid $21.6 Million bucks. I guess the usual Oscar bump that happens the weekend after the nominations are announced couldn't overcome the popularity of the scary movie genre. Big Momma's House 2 took second place with $13.3 Million dollars While a few of the "golden" films made some gains--they were not as big as they had been in years past. One BIG nominee even took a bit of a dip...To find out how the OSCAR hopefuls ended up doing over the weekend, be sure to read the complete article, by Mr. Ben Fritz.

As for the #1 film itself, the reviews for When A Stranger Calls seemed to suggest that the remake doesn't come close to holding a candle to the original cult classic from 1979. As a fan of the earlier film, and after seeing the trailer for the new version, I could tell it's an inferior movie without seeing the whole thing. I will rent it when it hits DVD in about two months-just to see for myself how "bad" bad can really be.

No comments: