Saturday, April 22, 2006

Critics Disappointed Over HD-DVD

The first HD DVD's and players hit the marketplace, this past week, and Studio Briefing fills us in on what some of the critics are saying about the new home entertainment format:

Consumer electronics writers have begun to weigh in on the new HD DVD players distributed by Toshiba this week, and most are unimpressed. Several cite an intolerably long boot-up period, a confusing menu system, and incompatible sound. But nearly all express disappointment in the picture. On smaller sets, the writers agree, the difference between HD DVD and a conventional DVD is virtually undetectable. "Bottom line is that HD DVD is great, but will you notice?" asks Ben Drawbaugh on HDBeat.com. Writing in the Los Angeles Times David Colker remarked that on larger screens he could detect a subtle difference. He added: "I tested my perceptions by switching between the two formats. I asked a colleague to close his eyes while I chose a version, then had him open them and guess: DVD or HD DVD? He got it right only about 75% of the time. So, yes, it's better. But don't expect the dramatic leap in quality that came with the transition from VHS to DVDs in the 1990s."

Uh oh. I don't know about you, but I was expecting a better reception than that, as far as the software goes anyway...

Dan Ramer of DVDFile posted a great editorial on the machines themselves called "HD DVD Players Sell Out".

Meanwhile, the Blu-Ray (my personal choice between the two formats) discs are up next...and they might even have a tougher road to travel if sales of HD players/Discs somehow take off early. I will outline my "why Blu-Ray" reasons when they debut sometime in June.

No comments: