Thursday, August 09, 2007

Fresh Ink

One of my favorite writers has signed a new deal...

Josef Adalian of Variety:

"Battlestar Galactica" creator Ronald D. Moore {pictured) will remain in the Peacock universe, inking a two-year, seven-figure overall deal with Universal Media Studios.

Pact calls for Moore to continue on "BSG," which will wrap its run on the Sci-Fi Channel next year. Moore will simultaneously begin developing projects for the studio, with a fall 2008 series not out of the question.

Scribe will continue his feature work, which includes the sequel to "I, Robot" for 20th Century Fox and a new take on "The Thing" at U.

UMS [president] Katherine Pope said reupping Moore was one of the first priorities upon taking on her gig in late May.

"Even when I was talking to Ben (Silverman) about taking this job, this was one of the deals we were already discussing," she said. "Ron is one of those people who comes along very, very rarely, who knows how to create shows that are form-breakers."

Pope added that while Moore is known for his sci-fi chops, his writing goes beyond genre.

"To me, 'Battlestar Galactica' is an operatic political soap opera before it's sci-fi," she said. "It's rooted in character and grounded in political and social worlds. I don't think of it as a genre show."

Getting a Moore-created skein on NBC is one of Pope's priorities, and Moore said he's definitely open to expanding beyond what he's best known for.

"As a writer, you want to stretch different muscles," he said. "I want to push myself to do different things."

Indeed, a comedy is among the many ideas Moore is in the early stages of exploring. He's not closing the door on sci-fi, however, or even the possibility of adapting another classic property.

"It sort of depends on what it is," Moore said. "My first instinct is to do something new and of my own (creation). But I'm not averse to doing a new spin on something else. I will be as curious as you to see what my next project is."

Moore has worked with Pope before, during her last go-round as an exec at the Peacock-owned studio. He said he and his reps explored setting up shop elsewhere but that knowing Pope was coming back "was a big factor" in his decision to stay.

"It's just an easy relationship," he said. "They're all good people to sit around and bounce ideas back and forth with. It's a good home base."...


I have been a fan of Moore's skills as a writer since he first came to Star Trek: The Next Generation. He stayed with Trek through Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and helped to set up the story for 2 films in the franchise...Generations and the kick ass First Contact--He got the shaft while working on Star Trek Voyager for Rick Berman and hasn't looked back since...

I also enjoyed his work on the series Roswell...And although I've tried on a couple of ocaisions to give his version of BSG a shot, I prefer the incarnation from 1978 more. Still, it's hard to argue the new show's success and what it's done for Moore's career.

I look forward to seeing how he reworks The Thing...

Personally, when this two year deal is complete, I would like to see Moore return to Trek in some capacity. Perhaps, helping JJ Abrams with the next film?? Or maybe as showrunner on another spin-off? He did great things for the 40 year space saga during his tenure--and could surely do so again.

No comments: