Tuesday, February 11, 2014

RIP Shirley Temple Black (1928-2014)

"The biggest little star" has died.

Shirley Temple-Black passed away at home of natural causes surrounded by loved ones. She was 85 years old.



Temple's career exploded when she was just 5, and she appeared in a string of massively successful hits for Fox in 1934, including Little Miss Marker, Baby Take a Bow, and Bright Eyes. Lest I forget gems like Heidi, The Little Princess, and Curly Top, as well.

So fast and so complete was her success, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences created a brand new award that year just so that she could receive it, the non-competitive Special Oscar for best juvenile performance. She dominated the box office and generally making everybody smile despite that that the country was in the midst of the  Great Depression.

Her career continued strongly until 1949, with the actress still appearing in classics like The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer 

She lived a remarkable life, beyond the industry after an attempt to transition into young adult roles, a “retirement” at 22 years old. Her next phase in life included two marriages – the second lasting 54 years – and a productive era in politics and as a U.S. diplomat.

When the news of her passing broke this morning...I thought about my Mom...Oh how she loved watching Temple's films. At a young age I remember that she had them on nearly every Saturday when the local UHF station would run two of them back to back...At the tine I did not appreciate them. As an  adult--It's easy to see that Temple had a special kind of magic...that has never been duplicated. What I would not give for one more chance to sit with Mom to watch a Temple film...I miss you...

I post these videos to honor Mom....





There's more as Hollywood Mourns Child Star...

1 comment:

Mattingly85MVP said...

A terrific write up Tom. I certainly remember your mom being such a warm, caring person. I can only imagine how proud she is of you buddy.