Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Tangled Web

A Spider-Man 4 is planned for 2009...And despite claims to the contrary, the star of the popular superhero film franchise, has softened his view, over doing another one...sort of.


Will Maguire Really Leave Spidey Behind?

Tobey Maguire, who reprises the role of Peter Parker in the upcoming Spider-Man 3, told SCI FI Wire that he remained open to a fourth film, with reservations. This despite earlier reports that the third Webslinger movie would be his last. Maguire is not contractually bound to do a fourth film.

"Well, it's possible that we make another movie," Maguire said in an interview. "It all depends on if there's a story worth telling. I feel very proud of the three movies that we've made. I feel like the stories all deserve to be told, and, you know, if they come up with a good movie, and the whole team wants to get back together, and we feel like we can make a good movie that's worth making, then I'm up for it."

His co-star, Kirsten Dunst (Mary Jane Watson), echoed the sentiment in a separate interview in February. And for her, it depended on whether or not writer/director Sam Raimi agreed to a fourth installment. "There's an openness at the end [of Spider-Man 3], which I like, but ... I feel like this is a trilogy unto itself," she said. "And I think if we venture into a fourth, it will be some time from now and in a new way. Because I don't think Sam can do that: continuing on this same course. I think he needs to venture as an artist and do other things; otherwise, none of us will have anything good to bring to the fourth. So I think we all need to venture out a little bit, and then maybe we'll come back together one day and do another one."

She added: "I would work with Sam on any movie he wanted to work on it with me, because I just adore that man."

For his part, Raimi hasn't said one way or another whether he'd do another movie. Producer Avi Arad has been quoted as saying he'd move ahead with a fourth Spider-Man with or without Maguire. Spider-Man 3 opens May 4.

Maguire's position takes a 180 degree turn. I wonder if all of that Internet chatter about Jake Gyllenhaal stepping into the suit had to do with Tobey's change of heart?..Arad says a fourth film is going to happen no matter what...Dunst says yes, if Raimi comes back...Spidey 3 finishes on an open-ended note...I think this all adds up to everyone coming back at some point...Once issues of salary can be ironed out--that is...

I predict an "official announcement" to come along soon after the receipts for Spidey 3 are counted.

No comments: