Wednesday, March 26, 2014

CinemaCon 2014: Johnson Lands Part In DC Comics Film

Dwayne Johnson is at CinemaCon in Las Vegas this week for Paramount's presentation promotion of Brett Ratner's upcoming "Hercules: The Thracian Wars".

Speaking with press after the event he revealed that he has been talking with DC Comics and Warner Bros. over the years to find the right character for him to play.


Johnson wouldn't go into any specifics, but he was tipped years ago to play Black Adam in the now defunct Shazam film for DC. He has also been linked to play the title character Lobo in a film about the alien bounty hunter.

"So, you know, there's been mutual interest with myself and DC for many years to find the right character. I, like everyone here in the room, I love superheroes, and we've been having ongoing discussions, myself and DC, for years about the right character. What would the right character be? And that's another thing, too. It just had to be right. I won't tell you who it is, but I'll tell you the three qualities we're looking for and I'll let you guys figure it out, This is going to be fun. Here are the three qualities: The first quality we were looking for is that he had to be extremely complex and have a lot going on and what that does for me as an actor and for the studio, just gives us space that we can explore his complexities. The other quality is that the character we were looking for had to be well known but never brought to life. That does, again as an actor, is that it gives me a little bit of space and it just gives me a chance to put an imprint into his personality with the set of tools that I can bring to the table and put a very unique twist on his personality but still pay homage to who he is. The third thing and most important is that he had to be a badass mother***ker and on a Superman level of power where he could throw down. In those three qualities, I'm happy we've found that character and right now we're out to a lot of writers."

Johnson adds that it's possible that they may announce this role during Comic-Con--he may show up in another DC Cinematic Universe film as well.

No comments: