Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Jason David Frank Offers "Power Rangers" Movie Reboot Update

We know that Jason David Frank, who played Tommy Oliver a.k.a. The Green/White Ranger on the original "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers," has already had conversations about the reboot of the franchise at Lionsgate and Saban Brands.


Speaking with ComicBook.com, Frank says that production will begin on the new film will start sometime this year:

"We're definitely not in a holding pattern. The movie is definitely set for this year. Everything is in place. They won't give me specific details because it's all like hush-hush. Even me, I try. I email Saban and ask them kind of what you're asking me, but they do feel that I'm going to be part of it, because they feel there's no movie, at least, without me. The funny thing is, one way or another, whether it happens or it doesn't, I've been great to Lionsgate and I've been loyal to Saban. It's not like they owe me, but if I want to ask for a personal favor, I've invested into their emotional bank account. I feel like it's fair to have that withdrawal with them, because I've done nothing but support them for the last 10 years, 20 years in fact. So when that happens, I don't need to cash in any favors. I believe it's going to happen anyway, but when it does, I'll keep my fans involved, but I will tell you it is being filmed this year. I know that for a fact. It's going to be great when it is."

The new film titled Power Rangers will "re-envision" the story of a group of high school kids who are infused with super powers that must work together to save the world.

"Power Rangers" began life over two decades ago and has been in continuous production ever since. Toys, apparel, costumes, video games, DVD's, comic books and other merchandise have all been spawned from the property, as have two feature films back in the mid-1990s.

The property also has a devoted worldwide fan base as well as a detailed mythology that screams cinematic reboot.

"X-Men: First Class" and "Thor" writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz will write the screenplay.

 "Star Trek" and "Transformers" scribe Roberto Orci will serve as executive producer. The trio will develop the movie’s story, with Miller and Stentz writing the script.

 Orci revealed that it's NOT a reboot but rather a refresh (think "Doctor Who") and it will exist in continuity with the world of the TV series but serves as a starting point for newcomers as well.

No comments: