Sunday, August 23, 2009

Like It Was Yesterday...

Today is a very special movie anniversary for me...that is celebrated with The Last Reel Post #4,000:

This is no fantasy...”

I was 10 years old at the time...

It was August 23rd 1979, and as usual for that time of year the weather was very warm and humid. My Mom and Dad were busy working around the house. Four of my five siblings were out and about, doing the things that normal teenagers and young adults do. I decided to pass the time by playing a very long game of Monopoly with the one sister who was home . After she beat me, it was time to eat dinner. As we finished our meal, two of my brother’s buddies came by, for a visit. Even though he wasn’t home, his two pals as they often did, had decided to stick around for a little bit anyway. This visit allowed them to give me some of those old "Space: 1999" action figures and toys, which he was planning to do anyway. The duo said that they were going to the movies in town. Eventually, they invited my sister and me to come along. After getting permission and money from the folks, off we went...

Little did I know, this simple outing to the movies, would have such an affect on me and my future...

You will believe...”

The only movie theater within walking distance from my home in Woodbury NJ., had only two screens, (yeah remember when movies only had 1 or 2 screens!) and was located right in the center of town. The Wood, (sadly, demolished in the mid-80's after the cineplex took over) on Broad Street, was what’s known in the business as, a second run theater. This is the last place where movies go before they show up on cable or in the video store. The fifteen minute trip ended and we arrived some twenty minutes before the 7:00 p.m. show time. The four of us sat three rows from the front. The screen looked very big to this 10 year old. In the center section, we took four seats on the right side of the row. I sat on the end. This was the first time I sat that close to the screen.

The movie I was about to see had originally been released on December 15 1978. It had been number one at the box office for eleven weeks in a row, garnered four Oscar nominations, and was a hit with the the critics and the public alike. A few moments later the theater went dark and the film began...

The movie I saw that night was...of course

SUPERMAN-THE MOVIE



There are many other films that have inspired me over the years. The list is long and varied. However, SUPERMAN was the very first film to have an impact on me, and the choices that I would make later in life. So that is why it is singled out here.

From the opening shots in black and white of a young boy reading a comic book, dissolving into one of the most memorable credit sequences ever filmed, to its epic story and great score, SUPERMAN had it all. A great cast, led by Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, and Christopher Reeve In fact, it is his performance as both the man of steel and his alter ego, Clark Kent, (Reeve later said that he modeled his Clark Kent after actor Cary Grant) that made it work. Under the fine direction of Richard Donner, the movie and its characters came alive...





“...the gift of flight

When the movie ended, 2 hours and 23 minutes later, I thought WOW! As the four of us made our way back to my house, I was pumped up, and very excited!--And could not stop talking about it...When I finally made it home, I couldn’t wait to tell Mom and Dad all about it. It wasn’t just the movie that I wanted to talk about though. I wanted talk about everything that went into MAKING IT as well. I noticed a lot more about the movie than just the great script by writer Tom Mankiewicz. Examples of what else I noticed include: the cinematography (by the late Geoffrey Unsworth), the music (by John Williams), the set design (by the late John Barry), editing (by Stuart Baird), and on and on... The point is that I became interested in all areas of the film’s production. Even to this day, I still pay attention to the credits of films that I see. I remember telling my mom that night that I wanted to be a film director as an adult...

As a teenager, I went to the movies a lot, with family and friends. I was and still am the movie guy to those that know me..Trips to the bookstore back then meant getting my hands on any tome about movies and how they got made...

When it came time to pick a major in college--the choice was simple--Communications with a concentration in Film and TV production....

Since then I have made a few promotional films including one for my high school Alma mater--Profiles of interesting people that I thought could use the attention...The highlight among those films though was the completion of an indie short--that-thanks to the help of some very dedicated folks--is literally one experience I will never forget...And Like Superman--it will always be with me for the rest of my life Thanks always to MD for going above and beyond in making the Indie happen at all and to the rest of my cast/crew--It truly was the "The Best Of Times...."

I may not be a famous filmmaker--and that's OK--at least I can say I did it and my life is all the better for having reached for it...and I am content in my current career as a non film director

The important thing is... My affection for, and inspiration from the celluloid medium has never really left me--and I doubt it ever will really..In some ways, one could say, this blog would not exist without 1978's STM... and that trip to the center of town 30 years ago

Thank You Mr Donner For Making A 10 Year Old Boy Believe A Man Can Fly....And giving me a lifetime of movie memories...

This post is lovingly dedicated to the memory of my Mom, my niece Kayla and my lovely "B" I miss you every day...and I love you...

No comments: