Monday, August 31, 2009

Feeling Swamped

On a promotional push for September's "Whiteout", producer Joel Silver tells the site Collider that he wants to do a new film version of the comic book hero "Swamp Thing"

"I'm developing a picture now that I'd like to do. I'll hopefully do Swamp Thing, which is a movie we've had for a long time. We think that would be great to do in 3-D...[Ugh!]. There are a couple of projects I'm thinking about (for the format) but not everything. Maybe I'm going to do it. I like it" .

In the comics, the character is a humanoid mass of vegetable matter who fights to protect his swamp home, the environment in general, and humanity from various supernatural or terrorist threats.

Created in the early 70's, the comic was headed towards cancellation in 1983 until Alan Moore came into revamp the book--turning it into into a more literary book aimed at adults.

The hero saw action in two pics 1982's "Swamp Thing" directed by Wes Craven and 1989's "The Return of Swamp Thing " directed by Jim Wynorski. The myths was also turned into an early 90's TV series which lasted for three seasons and a short lived animated series in 1991.

The previous films (especially the 1st one) were campy fun...If they adapt Moore's material (and lose the 3-D hook)--I'm with ya all the way Joel...

No comments: