Tuesday, December 24, 2013

TLR Examines Chris Esper's "Still Life"

I recently took time to check out Chris Esper's short film Still Life. The little gem asks some interesting questions about creativity and criticism. Anyone who has made a film, written a story, composed a piece music etc. will identify with this movie's themes.


Using a quote by Ira Glass as its starting point, the pic follows Martin () a photography student who wrestles with his thoughts about his creativity and talent. 

Some of Martin's photos are featured in a showcase, At the event he gets some positive reaction from a few audience members. Then, Elaine (), a professional photographer, offers her opinion that stuns Martin. The showcase ends and Martin leaves questioning his skill set and his career path.

As some of my regular readers may recall--Some 14 years ago me and my buddy Matt made a 30 minute film called "Crossroads" If I had a nickle for the number of times that I felt like Martin during the process of making it I would be able to pay for a couple of Hollywood blockbusters...

Esper's use of black and white/color photography helps to illustrate Martin's internal struggle with great results. Bonavita does a good job conveying everything the character goes through in 12 short minutes.

The main message of "Still Life" is a positive one for anyone working on anything creative. As a "Glass half full" kinda guy I like that.

My one quibble with the film--during some crucial dialogue towards the end-the music by Ryan Campos almost played over it....

Still Life recently acquired worldwide distribution through TwistFlix and is now available to stream or download for a small price. It's worth a look folks.

Be sure to check out the film's Facebook page as well.

Within the next couple of weeks  I will be chatting with Chris about Still Life and his career. Watch for that post soon!

No comments: