Monday, February 02, 2015

Spider-Man Films: David Koepp Speaks

As we await word about the proposed deal between Sony Pictures and Marvel to have "Spider-Man" start appearing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe...

Empire asked writer/director David Koepp who wrote the script for the original Sam Raimi-directed 2002 "Spider-Man" flick which launched the film series what he would do:

"When I was doing Spider-Man the first time, I remember distinctly having thoughts about three movies, each of a different kind. The way the comic book lines switched, it was 'Spider-Man,' 'Amazing Spider-Man,' 'Spectacular Spider-Man'... there were a number of them. So rather than try to pursue the same course - or any kind of similar tone - you'd have strikingly different tones. The classic 'Spider-Man,' that would be the top-of-the-line, studio Sam Raimi ones, then the 'Amazing Spider-Man' ones, they'd be done for $75-80 million, and have a rougher, edgier, almost R-rated feel to them - if not R-rated, though I don't think they could ever bring themselves to do that. Tougher, nastier, a rougher look... shorter movies. I don't like superhero bloat personally. And these series didn't have to be consecutive, they could be released concurrently. Then I also thought there should be a 'Spectacular Spider-Man' series, because Spider-Man leaves out a large group of its audience. Little kids are fascinated by Spider-Man by the time they are three, or younger. But when I was a kid, I loved the animated series, so I always thought there should be separate lines to cater for different ages of Spider-Man fans."


Koepp likes Sony's idea of expanding the franchise with spinoff films:

"I'd certainly develop other characters in the Spider-Man universe, which is what they are trying to do, I know. Black Cat deserves her own movie series. As for the superhero genre generally now, I am stunned at its viability, its quality, its longevity, and its ability to grow and deepen. I think they're great. I was so continually wrong about where superhero movies were going that now I am just an audience member, thrilled to see them continue to improve."

No comments: