Monday, September 08, 2008

I Feel Your Payne

Max Payne director John Moore is very upset with Motion Picture Association of America over the fact that the video game based actoner initially received an R--Forcing him to re-cut rhe film. Both he and the studio had the intention of making a PG-13 flick from the start.

He tells Das Gamer that his frustration with the MPAA's stems from their lack of accountability...I love this:

"They said to me, the movie feels R. And I said, 'What the [bleep] is that, a group therapy session?' You can't do that. They're meant to judge content, not intent. They said the movie felt dark."

Paging Dr. Phil...

"They really hung themselves with The Dark Knight. Every other filmmaker in town is knocking on their door saying, "Please sir, may I have my PG-13 rating and be as fair to my movie as you were to The Dark Knight."

Moore addresses the notion of an unrated version for the DVD/Blu-ray release:

"There's always that creative safety net that there is a platform for the ultimate version of the movie out there on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. But to be quite honest, I didn't go into this wanting it to be necessarily a hard R. I put a lot of kinetic violence in the movie because that's how the game feels, but I didn't go cutting people's heads off and ripping their eyeballs out just for the fun of it."

You gotta wonder what is going on inside the minds of those MPAA board members...?

Payne hits theaters on October 17th.

No comments: