Saturday, February 16, 2008

Size Matters

10 days ago or so. actor Eric Bana (pictured) characterized his role in the Star Trek reboot as the villain Nero, as a ‘cameo'.

At the time he said those words, most folks were puzzled, expecting the bad guy would have a bigger part in the new film...

During a recent press tour for his latest film The Other Boleyn Girl (opening Feb 29th) the actor clarified his statements regarding the part and talking Trek in general.

He addressed the baddie question this way to Cinematical:

"Well, I guess he kind of is, but I guess what I mean is that in the context of the roles I usually do, the weight is firmly on other areas, you know what I mean? It’s not one of those roles where you’re carrying the movie, is what I’m saying. I feel like I’m very much in a supporting role, not one of the main guys. So ‘cameo’ is a way of saying I don’t feel like, as I am in this film or some other films, where you’re clearly carrying a lot of the film. It’s a luxury to not be in that position. It’s nice to be offered a part like that."

On whether or not he is a Trek fan, Bana said that he liked The Original Series as a kid, but that isn’t why he signed on...

Talking to Cinemablend Bana said:

"Even if I was crazy about the original series that wouldn’t have been enough to make me sign on to a film I didn’t want to do. I read the script and I went, ‘That is an awesome script.’ It was a very easy decision".

He told MTV that he knows about Trek’s famous villains of and hopes he can make the grade:

I think that if I get compared to any of them [by the fans], I’ll be doing well.

Bana's original answer makes sense when looked at in the daylight of the clarification...

BTW-The release date for Star Trek was recently changed to May 8th 2009

No comments: