Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mike Proclaims "It's Good To Be King"

A short time ago I asked the following question on my personal Facebook page: "Tell me about the movie that changed your life?"

My niece's boyfriend responded making a heartfelt case for the 1994 animated classic The Lion King. Following on from that I found out that Emily bought tix to see the Broadway Show version to celebrate Mike's Birthday. Before they left I jokingly told him "I Can't Wait For Your Review". After all anytime I see a film that is what he says to me...

To my astonishment He actually took time to write a review: After I read it I was so gratful that he did that I decided I should share it on TLR---Without further delay...Here's Mike whom I also affectionately refer to as "Surfer Dude"...


Directed by Julie Taymor and choreographed by Garth Fagan, The Lion King musical takes you through an incredible journey into the heart of the pride-lands. Derrick Davis, understudy for decade-long Mufasa Alton Fitzgerald White, did an exceptional job as King Mufasa. His death at the end of Scene 10 in Act I is truly heart wrenching. Rafiki, played by none other than Tshidi Manye, who has been with the Lion King musical since 2004, did an sensational job at not only the African singing Rafiki is known for, but also as the comedic relief throughout the show.

The Lion King story needs no synopsis, its tale of a young lion's quest to become a man, and grow up like his strong powerful father derails when his uncle stages a dangerous situation for Simba and subsequently his father, is known by all because of is famous Disney Movie beginning.


I thought the standouts in this performance were the tandem of Fred Berman, (timon) and Rutgers University graduate Ben Jeffery as Pumbaa. Their chemistry was incredible and they stole every scene they were in. Much credit to Berman, who controlled Timon's hand and head expressions using a stick as a puppet.

The stage was beautifully crafted, and the costumes were everything they were hyped up to be and more. I felt the Lion King Musical did a fantastic job at letting the audience feel as though they were in the show. That feeling created an emotional attachment unlike any show I've seen before. Cast and ensemble were frequently in and out of the crowd, (An elephant even marches in during the opening act through the crowd.)

Overal, it is no surprise why this show has been on broadway for 13 years. A packed crowd on a Sunday mantee enjoyed yet again one of the best shows to hit broadway in recent years. Lion King's story, its heartfelt characters, and its theme are things that not only children should believe in, but adults too. "Sometimes change is good." Says Rafiki in the end of Scene 6 of Act II. In which adolescent Simba replies, "Yeah, but its not easy." Throughout the show, there are many life lessons to be learned and that is why I feel such a strong connection to the Lion King. I highly recommend it to anyone, broadway goer or not.


Pretty great right?--Thanks Mike! Until our next movie conversation Mike....

No comments: