Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Quentin Tarantino Plans To Retire After #10

During a Q&A for buyers at American Film Market writer/director Quentin Tarantino announced his intention to retire from film making after he completes work on his 10th film.


The recently cast snowbound western "The Hateful Eight" marks his 8th film....

I don’t believe you should stay on stage until people are begging you to get off,” he said. “I like the idea of leaving them wanting a bit more. I do think directing is a young man’s game and I like the idea of an umbilical cord connection from my first to my last movie. I’m not trying to ridicule anyone who thinks differently, but I want to go out while I’m still hard… I like that I will leave a ten-film filmography, and so I’ve got two more to go after this. It’s not etched in stone, but that is the plan.”

QT's contemporary Kevin Smith has announced plans for retirement as well--the question is will they follow through...Tarantino left the door open to un-retire.

If I get to the tenth, do a good job and don’t screw it up, well that sounds like a good way to end the old career. If, later on, I come across a good movie, I won’t not do it just because I said I wouldn’t. But ten and done, leaving them wanting more, that sounds right.

Also on the panel Eight stars Samuel L. Jackson and Kurt Russell, who did not believe what QT was saying. “You don’t actually believe that shit, do you,” Russell asked the crowd. Jackson asked: “What’s Quentin going to do with himself if he’s not doing this?

QT says that he will be “writing plays and books, going gracefully into my tender years.”

For now, though, he has to concentrate on making "Eight", a pic that he hopes will keep the idea of event cinema alive. “If we do our jobs right by making this film a 70mm event, we will remind people why this is something you can’t see on television, and how this is an experience you can’t have when you watch movies in your apartment, your man cave or your iPhone or iPad,”

Tarantino said. “You’ll see 24 frames per second play out, all these wonderfully painted pictures create the illusion of movement. I’m hoping it’s going to stop the momentum of the digital stuff, and that people will hopefully go, ‘Man, that is going to the movies, and that is worth saving and we need to see more of that.”

Principal photography on "Eight" would begin in January to meet a late 2015 release--after a well-documented back and forth when the script leaked online,and Tarantino threatened legal action against the site Gawker Buyers are only allowed to read the script of the anticipated western in TWC’s AFM office and even then are not being given the script’s final act.

It's no secret that I am not a fan of QT's filmography save for say Reservoir Dogs and his script for 1993's True Romance --will "Eight" 9 or 10 win me over before he calls it quits?

No comments: