Wednesday, November 19, 2014

James Gunn On "Guardians of the Galaxy 2"

"Guardians of the Galaxy" writer-director James Gunn is on the stump promoting the upcoming disc release on December 9th--a week after hitting VOD--It's already available digitally


He was asked by MTV News whether or not Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will tie-in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe--specifically Avengers: Infinity War - Part I / Avengers: Infinity War - Part II. Does he fell creatively constricted by the studio's grander plans:

"I don’t feel beholden to that stuff at all. I think [Guardians 2 is] really about the Guardians and what they are doing. We’re not subservient to the Avengers."

 He adds the second installment is "not a movie that’s made to move toward Infinity War" but rather "something that is made to move toward future cosmic movies."

 Chatting with EW, he talked about some of the characters that he hopes will return in the follow-up.

"Yondu and Kraglin, the Ravagers. And I love Nebula. I think that she is underutilized in the film. I want to see more of her. The Collector, he'll reappear. I don't know if he's gonna be in the next one. I do think his story is really compelling, and I think he's one of those very interesting shades of gray characters."

Gunn says that this is the kind of film that you can't just clone - it has to be different:

"I would say the main thing is: Don't just copy yourself, which is what a lot of sequels do. And in some cases it works. Like James Bond movies. But James Bond is a different type of character. This is many characters. I think Guardians, at the end, is not the structure of a comic book movie, it's not the structure of an action-adventure, it's not the structure of a comedy. It's the structure of a family drama. So how does that play itself out?"


 Gunn also spoke with Vulture about the dancing baby Groot toy which has finally been released as official merchandise. The studio wasn't caught off guard by the popularity of the character--they didn't want spoilers getting out:

"While we were still shooting the movie, I brought up putting Dancing Baby Groot out as a toy. The reason it didn't happen is because you have some control in the film industry over secrets getting out there, but the people you don't have much control over are the toy people, unfortunately. Those toy designs get out, always! And people definitely would have gotten a hold of the Baby Groot if we had started manufacturing it in time for it to come out after the movie, so that was the biggest reason we didn't push on that particular element."

Gunn was also asked if the cocoon we see in one of the glass cages during the visit to The Collector was that Adam Warlock. He indicates it is, but its placement there is more a random act than anything else:

"There’s a cocoon that’s exactly like Adam Warlock’s. I wasn’t really thinking that much when I put that in. That was my idea to put that in there. They’re like, ‘What should we put in?" So I went in the Marvel handbook and like just picked cool things that looked neat to put into the boxes. It looked like Adam’s Warlock cocoon, so now everyone thinks he’s out of there and you know… I don’t know."

 "Guardins 2" is set for release on July 28th 2017

No comments: