Sunday, June 20, 2010

Adventures In Filmmaking

When I made my film 10 years ago--I coined the term "film making on the fly" to describe the experience to everyone who asked me what it was like...

Following up on yesterday's post about the indie thriller The Pendant.

Mary Phelps (Kristy Richman) a tax assessor that is assigned to evaluate the property of a hotel that has become delinquent on paying their taxes.

When the hotel owner is unavailable at the time of her arrival she is forced to spend the night at the hotel. Amidst dealing with personal issues with ex boyfriend (Mike Marino) and the strange occurrences throughout the night she is forced to find her inner self.

Here now is my first exclusive chat with the film's Director Jason Mayer and Writer Deven Lobascio...

And let's just say it brought back a lot memories for me Maybe someday I will tell you all the full story of my experience--- but for now...

How did the film come about?

Jay : I was asked to direct this comedy script that took place in a hotel. Then the genre changed from a comedy to a giallo style type movie. Got the re-write back and I just wasn't into it. But I was really triggered to do a thriller movie that takes place in a hotel. So I rang up Deven and threw him an idea. We hung up the phone and about an hour later there was a story that was really good and we just kept bouncing ideas off of each other.†

Deven: I remember getting a call from Jason and he asked for me to come up with a story that takes place in a hotel. It took me about only a hour to come up with a solid idea. This was my first time to get a chance to make a feature length film so I had my mind working harder than ever.

Tell us about your main character.

Jay : Mary Phelps is played by Kristy Richman and she did an amazing job. There were a few other actresses I had in mind but they didn't really have the look I was going for. Kristy came in and took the dialogue scenes to a whole different level but so did the other actors who had the long dialogue scenes. There's 3 pretty big dialogue scenes in this movie. I was always worried they wouldn't turn out right because of how long they were. One scene is about 5 minutes long of talk. The next one is 10 min long. And after that about 8 minutes long. When I showed a†rough cut†of the movie to a friend he was just blown away by the chemistry Kristy had with the other actors. I was really happy about that.

Deven: When I was writing scenes that contained the character of Mary Phelps I remember wanting an actress that had a very distinct look and was able to draw attention to the character and be able to hold long dialogue scenes. Once I saw Kristy I knew almost immediately that she was a perfect fit. She is able hold a scene of any kind and makes people want more of not only her but what is on screen as well. I believe is her work and she is a pleasure to have on set. I have full confidence in her acting and she will have a promising career in this industry

What was it like on the set? Best and worst time?

Jay : It was tiring, aggravating, fun. We spent almost 2 months in a hotel working from†9pm†to about 5am. Not the best of hours to be shooting a film. But it was so aggravating at times because it's a†low budget†movie. We had to do everything ourselves. Kristy was the make up person. Deven was the sound guy. I was doing grips, directing, filming all at once. I wish someone had a video of me pushing the dolly with my stomach while filming. It was just real guerrilla style filmmaking. Look up penny-pitching in the dictionary...The Pendant should pop up. But all in all it was absolutely fun. Doing something that makes you happy, no matter how much it p***es you off, it's always still fun.

Post production? Best and worst?

Jay : The money aspect of everything. Everything costs a fortune that we can't afford. We're hoping people wanna do it for a low pay and get deferred payment. But that's always hard cause it's not a guarantee the movie will get picked up. So far it's going good though. I edited the movie and i always trim it up. This week I'll have a locked picture. I'm really excited to see this movie with the†sound design†and music. When Deven and I got the official trailer back with music...we were floored. Music and sound are going to make this movie. It's such a sound fx driven flick.

And the reaction of family and friends when you told them you were making a movie

Jay : My family is proud and happy. I can't get accepted to school for my life. I just got a fafsa†letter in the mail†asking more and more questions that I can't give them. I don't get it. My Dad would be proud I know that. I'm pretty sure though there is family members like...yeah, wake up.

Deven: At first I thought my parents and family would not be very supportive of what I am chasing. But they realized that this is what I want to do and they realize there is something special. Writing movies has been a dream of mine for years and once Jason gave me my first chance I was all over it and I wont stop until I get where I want to be.

Favorite Filmmaker other influences Least Favorite?

Jay : I've got a list of em. Kevin Smith, Paul Thomas Anderson,†Robert Rodriguez,†Quentin Tarantino,†Edgar Wright,†Adam Green. I don't have a problem with any filmmakers. It's all opinion and no one will ever will the argument. Only thing I have a problem with are all these remakes. It's a shame cause 98% of them aren't good. The fans will always complain but they still go out and buy the†movie ticket†so they'll keep remaking them. I saw that they're going to remake†Monster†Squad...seriously?! The day they remake†Star Wars†I'll cry.

Me: LOL! Nothing is sacred!!!

We talked about the industry What's your take on current film trends (like 3-D)?

Jay : I think I jumped ahead in the last question. 3-D isn't bad but it's just an attempt to save the industry. It's working, good. Wonder what The Pendant would look like in 3-D...a sledgehammer coming down on a theater...could be cool. But Avatar was amazing in 3-D but I haven't seen a movie in 3-D where something reaches out and grabs me.†Spy Kids†3-D though, I remember Stallone's hand coming right in my face, that was cool.

What kind of posts can we expect when you guys write for me here on The Last Reel

Jay : Updates! Trying to keep people in touch with the movie as much as possible. Trying to build a a fan base.

Thanks Guys! We will talk again soon...and of course good luck...

No comments: