Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Abrams Is Sorry About All Of Those Lens Flares

One common trait of director J.J. Abrams' last 3 films--The lens flare. The use of which has produced much comment (largely negative) in that timeframe.

Folks barely noticed it in "Mission: Impossible 3," however, when it comes to 2009's "Star Trek" reboot one could not help but notice the flare.


Now, chatting with Crave Online, Abrams says he's not only aware of the issue, he's taking steps to correct the quirk:

"I know I get a lot of grief for that. But I'll tell you, there are times when I'm working on a shot, I think, 'Oh this would be really cool... with a lens flare.' But I know it's too much, and I apologize. I'm so aware of it now. I was showing my wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness and there was this one scene where she was literally like, 'I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is.' I was like, 'Yeah, I went too nuts on this.' This is how stupid it was... I actually had to use [special effects company] ILM to remove lens flare in a couple of shots, which is moronic. But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery."

1 comment:

Brittani Burnham said...

That's kind of hilarious that he finally acknowledged it. He did go way overboard in the first Stark Trek movie.