Monday, December 15, 2008

The Light To Show The Way....

Thirty years ago today.... Superman-The Movie opened in theaters across the country...

And the superhero/comic book film genre was born...

Sure the Man of Steel had been seen on the big screen before in the serials Superman (1948) Atom Man vs. Superman (1950) and the film Superman and the Mole-Men (1951) but Richard Donner's epic flick proved that superheroes were not just kid stuff...

The film gave future filmmakers the blueprint for their own genre flicks-- Sam Raimi, Christopher Nolan, Jon Favreau, and of course Superman Returns helmer Bryan Singer--who used what Donner had done as a starting point for his vision of the mythology....

On a personal level it is the film I saw as a 10 year old kid in the Summer of '79 at a hometown second run theater that gave me my love of cinema...inspired me to work for a Communications Degree with a concentration in film production--and make films of my own...Indeed, it's safe to say this very blog owes its existence to STM...

Thank You To:



And to the entire cast and crew...I can't adequately express my gratitude....

Here is Christopher Reeve being interviewed by the great Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show after the film's debut:




Read my review of the film here...

No comments: