Wednesday, April 27, 2011

In Hindsight...

Bryan Singer  has confirmed to IGN  that June 3rd's "X-MEN First Class is a prequel, not a reboot - "I think the chronology works; there are some liberties, but for the most part, it makes sense. The characters make sense. Which is why Beast and Mystique were the only two I could bring back because you don't really know how old they are".

Yeah yeah yeah...

What I find more interesting is what he's been saying of late about Superman Returns in the last week or so



Singer told Voices from Krypton "I think that Superman Returns was a bit nostalgic and romantic, and I don't think that was what people were expecting, especially in the summer... because I was known for the X-Men pictures, which had been more realistic and edgier. That, I think, was a big piece of what it was. Plus, you had that complicated relationship between the Richard White (James Marsden) character and Lois Lane (Kate Bosworththat might have thrown people off."

He added "If I could go back, I would have tightened the first act. Maybe open with the plane or something,"

Singer admits that the homage to the Richard Donner's Superman film was a bit much.

"But I am very much in love with the Donner picture," he added, "and for me the journey was exciting, because I got the chance to reprise those images and explore it. When you're fascinated by something and you love it, part of making the movie is trying to please everyone and make a successful movie, but part of it is an experimental kind of thing."

He concludes, "If I was going to do another one, it would be a reboot.[with someone like XFC co-star Nicholas Hoult as Clark Kent/Superman] I would go back and redo the original, but I only thought of that recently. It would be a much less romantic, more balls-to-the-wall action movie. It would be a very different pace than Superman Returns, which I can say at this point, because I have distance from it now."

If Singer Were To Reboot Supes Hoult Would Wear The Suit


What?! That's a PRICEY experiment---I'm glad Singer noted SR was a mistep but I find it hard to believe that he says do it totally different now ala  Zack Snyder's Superman: Man Of Steel given his respect for the '78 pic

Jeanne Wolf talked to SR star Brandon Routh about SR: “I love the movie and I’ll stand by it. Did it do everything that every fan boy and girl wanted? Ah… no. Do I think there should’ve been fighting in it? Yes! It would have been great to have some fighting. Would I have liked to have seen more of Brandon as Superman flying versus CGI Superman flying? Yes, I just think that pulled me out of the film a little bit. They did an amazing job, but there were still some shots that were not as good as the real thing. So there’s that. But, you know, I’m six years older now than I was then. I’m so much more mature. I feel like I could have brought even more reverence and more maturity to the character than was there when I was 25. Other than that, I’m really happy with it.”



For me it's not so much the nostalgic elements that hurt SR--(Although that doesn't help I freely admit) it was more of a plot problem The notion of the Super kid, Supes stalking Lois, Supes leaving earth without a good reason--and then upon his return brooding. I also think Bosworth was miscast; Kevin Spacey's Luthor was underwritten --not allowing Spacey the chance to really shine

No comments: