Friday, January 02, 2015

"Foxcatcher" Biopic: Mark Schultz Sorry For Harsh Language

Sony Pictures Classics' true crime biopic and award season contender "Foxcatcher" is making news again.

Steve Carell stars as Schizophrenic murderer John du Pont, the heir to the DuPontChemical fortune who built a wrestling gym called Team Foxcatcher on his Pennsylvania estate. In 1996, he shot and killed his close friend, Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler Dave Schultz, (Mark Ruffalo) at the training center. After the murder, du Pont locked himself in his mansion for two days while he negotiated with police on the telephone. A motive for the crime was never established, and du Pont died in a Pennsylvania prison at the age of 72.

 
Mark Schultz David's younger brother played by Channing Tatum in the film, posted an apology on a public Facebook page attributed to him for the “harsh language” he used when talking about what he called inaccuracies in the film and to lash out at director Bennett Miller. The worst of those tweets were deleted but can still be seen over at HitFix.

 Schultz took issue with a scene that implied to some critics a sexual relationship between himself and Du Pont. He now writes:

My story and my life are real. I am a real human being. While I may have tweeted out of anger, I in no way regret standing up for myself, nor do I regret calling out the only other man who has had decision making power concerning my image and legacy these past years,” Schultz wrote.

I apologize for the harshness of my language, but I am firm in where I stand. I will gladly go to any lengths to protect and safeguard the integrity and truth of my story, my life, my character and my legacy. If that’s not worth fighting over while I’m still alive, I don’t know what is.”

No comments: