Saturday, April 27, 2013

Abrams On Trek & Wars Future

With mere weeks to go until the release of the sequel "Star Trek Into Darkness" director J.J. Abrams will soon turn his attention to Star Wars: Episode VII. The question is, will he/would he return for the next installment in the final frontier saga?

 

 He tells Playboy: "I would say [directing Star Trek 3] it's a possibility. We're trying to figure out the next step. But it's like anything: It all begins with the story."

He adds that his approach to 'Wars' will be quite different from 'Trek' for one important reason:

"The advantage here [with 'Star Wars'] is that we still have with us to go to and ask questions and get his feedback on things, which I certainly will do. With 'Star Trek' it was harder because I wasn't a Star Trek fan; I didn't have the same emotional feeling, and I didn't have Gene Roddenberry to go to. But I came to understand the world of Star Trek, and I appreciated what fans felt and believed about this universe and this franchise."


Meanwhile, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told Screen Slam that the approach taken to the upcoming seventh "Star Wars" film will be somewhat different  over the highly secretive  approach Abrams operates in while his films are in production:

"I think the whole issue of confidentiality is gonna be fascinating as we move into making the movie. If we're shooting anything outside, it's almost impossible to not have things end up on the Internet. So my feeling is, you need to embrace that, especially with the fans around something like Star Wars. You need to recognize they're important to the process and acknowledge there are things you're gonna want to make sure they get to know. So I think that's something we're going to monitor, pay attention to and think differently about."

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Trek 2 hits May 17th 2013

No comments: