Monday, October 20, 2014

DC Comics Films: Jason Momoa Officially Talks Aquaman

Rumors started a while back that reportedly confirmed that Jason Momoa had been cast as Aquaman for both  Zack Snyder's upcoming superhero team-up film called "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" and "Justice League". In response Momoa posted a photo via Instagram that seemed like a response to the chatter that could go either way (though most likely it's a denial) - The pic sees him  holding a pitchfork like a trident, but he's also holding up his middle finger.


And then in August we found out that 300 scribe Kurt Johnstad and "Gangster Squad" writer Will Beall have been hired to pen separate scripts for a solo "Aquaman" movie which Momoa would seemingly star in. The studio wants to then combine them getting the best version from the two works. There's no release date at present for the solo film. Back then Variety said Momoa was a lock...
.
Momoa has been linked to Warner Bros' upcoming DC Entertainment plans for a long time but he's been suggested for numerous other roles like Doomsday or Metallo alien hero Martian Manhunter who also happens to like Oreo Cookies. The imposing actor has been asked about the talk several times but has always denied that he's up for a role.

With the studio now confirming that Momoa is playing Aquaman in "Dawn of Justice", he is now free to talk about his casting--Appearing at Walker Stalker Con Atlanta this weekend, he did just that (via ComicBook.com):

"I was asked to play it. You know, you audition and stuff like that, but the fact is you've just got to keep it quiet. You know what I mean, I was just trying to respect Warner Bros. and everyone's wishes. I'm really, really happy that I don't have to be quiet anymore, because that's really hard for me."

Created in the 1940s, Aquaman a founding member of the Justice League who can control the sea and is the king of Atlantis. Alan Ritchson played the character in several episodes of Smallville while Justin Hartley played the seven seas hero in a 2006 TV pilot that never aired.

Momoa says his Polynesian heritage has helped prep him for the part:

"I've rode some dolphins before, so I can pull on that. I did go to school for Marine Biology, but the cool thing is... the greatest thing for me is that Polynesians, our gods, Kahoali, Maui, all these water gods, so it's really cool and a honor to be playing a [water] character. And there's not too many brown superheroes, so I'm really looking forward to representing the Polynesians, the natives... My family are some of the greatest water men on earth. I'm not, but I'm going to go train with them. But it's really an honor just being a Polynesian. And water is the most important thing in this world and we all know it. It's cool be a part of DC's universe."

Momoa also says the solo "Aquaman" film, currently targeting a July 2018 release, is still just an ethereal thing right now:

"I don't know the director. I know about as much as you guys know. I know the Justice League will come first. That's really what we're going to focus on. I'm not sure if it will be [set] prior to Justice League or post. I don't know too much about it. It will probably be where he came from. It will probably be his whole origin story I would think... So I know we're going to do Justice League first."

The DOJ release was delayed a full 10 months for a number of reasons. As a result, the original release date of July 17th 2015 was no longer. The studio then targeted a May 6th 2016 release. They quickly inserted the fantasy Pan into that original slot. The sequel was to go head to head with "Captain America 3" ...Nobody thought that the comic book pics would ultimately share the date--Sure enough DOJ blinked--and will now open on March 25th 2016.

"The Justice League Part One" hits in November 2017 while "Justice League Part Two" comes out in 2019

No comments: