Tuesday, October 21, 2014

David Ayer Talks "Suicide Squad" Film

We know that Fury and "End of Watch" director David Ayer's set to chart the film version of the DC Entertainment's "Suicide Squad" comic book for Warner Bros.


The comic center on incarcerated villains from the DC universe being recruited as deniable assets by the Government to go on high-risk black ops missions in exchange for more lenient or even commuted sentences. Amanda Waller is in charge of the program.

Out making the promo rounds for "Fury" Ayer talked to Empire about the gig:

"'Fury' whetted my appetite for a bigger canvas and this idea of world creation. You can do amazing things as a filmmaker if you have the proper tools, and those are time and money. I can say that it's a The Dirty Dozen with supervillains. Then I can ask the question, 'Does a movie really need good guys?' I love the passion [comic-book fans] have for these characters and these worlds. I think there's something incredible about the comic genre and technology has finally caught up with pen and ink to render these fantastic worlds in a way that feels believable and visceral to audiences. It's a secular religion in that regards. The mythology that these characters represent - the idea of them as fallen gods on Earth - is intriguing to me. I can't wait to start exploring those corridors."

He was also asked specifically about the casting of Captain Boomerang one of the characters that seems a certainty to be a part of the squad, to which he responded:

"Like one would cast any other role. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm going to do what I do in my typical fever dream of directing."

 Will Smith, Tom Hardy Ryan Gosling and "The Wolf of Wall Street" actress Margot Robbie are all reportedly fielding offers for "Squad".

Dan Lin is producing the pic from a script by Justin Marks.

The film has a  2016 release date planned.

Several of the characters have showed up on The CW's popular Arrow TV series and that trend will continue.

No comments: