Saturday, March 20, 2010

X-Planation

Director Bryan Singer and producer Lauren Shuler Donner chatted with The Los Angeles Times about the upcoming pic X-Men: First Class, and the future of the film series
On 'First Class', Singer says the spin-off will deal with what caused the friendship between Professor X and Magneto to go south over their different philosophies as well as Xavier's establishment of the school.
"Just doing younger mutants is not enough. The story needs to be more than that. I love the relationship between Magneto and Xavier, these two men who have diametrically opposite points of view but still manage to be friends -- to a point."
While Donner wants Singer for another " X-Men" ensemble film but a recent dinner Singer had with Hugh Jackman sounded like the Aussie actor was trying to get Singer involved with X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2 as well.
When Donner brings up the subject of X-4 in the interview, Singer turned to her and said "Hold that one off for just a little, I'm fixated on the other one right now" to which she responded "I will, I will ... I'm holding it open with high hopes. It's totally different [First Class] and it will be so interesting for you."
Singer seemingly regrets leaving X for Superman Returns:
"My personality meshes more with this universe than it does with other universes, I think; I see that now at this point," Singer said. "I feel a connection to the X-Men characters and also the ensemble nature of the films. If you look at 'The Usual Suspects' or my last film, 'Valkyrie,' I feel especially comfortable with ensemble juggling. In the space between all the characters you can disguise a central thought that's hidden in all the discourse. I missed that with the singular relationship story of Superman. And, well, it always gives you something to cut to."
Very interesting indeed...Perhaps if he didn't let SR get so tied to Richard Donner's Superman and having the character stalk Lois Lane among other things he might feel differently.

No comments: