Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Masses Satisfy Their Hunger

The film adaptation of author Suzanne Collins and her novel series "The Hunger Games" is doing boffo biz at the cineplex.


After pulling in $19.7 million for midnight showings on Thursday night, the top midnight debut ever for a non-sequel, the filn then earned a massive $68.3 million on Friday.

Estimates now have it making some $138 million on this opening weekend, on or around the same amount as last year's "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1". It's expected to easily boast as the highest opening weekend for a non-sequel.

Reviews have also been quite strong with an 87% (7.3/10) on Rotten Tomatoes, a 68/100 on Metacritic, and a glowing 'A' from audiences via CinemaScore.

My sister just informed me that my 19 year old nephew saw the film--and said it was "really good". I consider that high praise considering that I assumed he would have passed on a film like this.

No comments: