Sunday, October 21, 2012

31 Days Of Horror Day 21: Paranormal Activity 4

Director Jason Christopher investigates whether or not Paranormal Activity 4 is worth your time as this special month long event celebrating horror sets up its camcorder and presses play!


What I really wanted to do was write a review of Sinister. I wanted to include a review of a brand new flick before the month long event was over. Here it is in a nutshell it sucked. I thought it was boring, I was nodding off in the theatre, the music was lame, and it had cheesy scares. Although, the murders in it were pretty creepy and cool, I’ll give the movie that. That and Ethan Hawke’s acting. Other than that…have fun with it folks. I never thought I’d say this but I completely enjoyed Paranormal Activity 4 over Sinister.

PA 4 follows the structure of all the other flicks in the franchise. The movie does involve the original cast members and continues moving forward with this story. It’s pretty cool and I like seeing where they take the story from there. Of course we meet a new set of people but instead of taking place in CA it takes place in Nevada this time,. The house seemed exactly the same as the other ones, though.

The ending was pretty tense and I enjoyed it. I would like to see them make another one though just to kind of explain what exactly is going on across the street…pretty wild.

Just like the other films in the series, there is no score in the movie, which is very hard to pull off. These movies focus mainly on the sound design and that that is the music. I would love to sit in and see everything they do for the sound design. That’s why I like seeing any horror movie in a theater. You get that full effect, the sub revving, and the 7.1 surround mix to its fullest. Love that stuff.

I’m not saying to log off your computer and go to the movies to catch PA4 right now or anything but definitely check it out if you thought that the other ones were entertaining. I mean, they’re pretty much – at this point – much like Friday The 13th milked the cow, Halloween, Freddy, all of those. You don’t love them but you don’t loathe them either. They entertain you and that’s all that matters, right? My favorite of the franchise - so far - was the third one, I really enjoyed that one. The setting, the storyline, the ending, it was pretty cool.

A quick funny story , after the Carrie teaser trailer played, someone said, “they should be charging half the price for a remake.” So true.

Go check out PA4 and go enjoy the the horror before it’s all over. (:( )

10 days till Halloween.

-Jay

No comments: