Sunday, March 24, 2013

Abrams Talks Star Wars & Star Trek

Director J.J. Abrams is very deep in post on the sequel "Star Trek Into Darkness", and has started doing the press push before he begins the process of  moving on to helm Star Wars: Episode VII

In the May issue of  Empire we learned that the king of sci-fi geekdom director hasn't quite solidified his plan for the future of "Star Wars" just yet.



"There are infinitely more questions than answers right now," the helmer tells magazine.

Abrams was also asked to compare the two mega sci-fi franchises, Abrams says they are "not that dissimilar."

"Though I came at these both from very different places, where they both meet is a place of ‘Ooh, that’s really exciting,' " he says. "And even though I was never a Star Trek fan, I felt like there was a version of it that would make me excited, that I would think, ‘That’s cool, that feels right, I actually would want to see that.' … The movies, the worlds could not be more different but that feeling that there’s something amazing here is the thing that they share."

Abrams says he was approached about the job while working on the Star Trek sequel.

In November of 2012 he told HollywoodLife.com that he had no desire to direct the next Star Wars movie. Then a couple of months later it was announced that Abrams had signed on for Episode VII. now Abrams explains why he changed his mind:

My knee-jerk reaction was that I’m in the middle of working on the Star Trek movie and I can’t even consider it. But then time went by and I got further along working on the movie and getting to a place where I had done most of the heavy lifting. So when I met with Kathy Kennedy we just started discussing it and I was able to actually engage in the conversation. I went down to tell Katie, my wife and I said ‘I had just a very interesting conversation with Kathy.’ That was the beginning. I will say that Steven [Spielberg] was very encouraging of Star Wars. It’s funny because I talked to him about it and it turned out he knew all about what was going on.”

Oscar winner Michael Arndt ("Toy Story 3," "Little Miss Sunshine") is writing the script for the “Star Wars: Episode VII that J.J. Abrams directs The script draft is said to include Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo in their later years. No official word yet if Mark Hamill could be tempted to return as Luke Skywalker but he is interested...Harrison Ford is also interested in returning as dashing scoundrel Han Solo  Carrie Fisher had all but confirmed that she would be back in the role of Princess Leia--but then her rep told CNN that she 'was joking'


Franchise creator George Lucas told Bloomberg Businessweek that he begun talks with original stars to have them return to for its new films -- before he had even begun the process of the ultimately $2 billion deal between Disney/Lucasfilm.

Still waiting for official word though....

Writers Lawrence Kasdan ("The Empire Strikes Back," "Raiders of the Lost Ark") and Simon Kinberg ("Sherlock Holmes," "X-Men: Days of Future Past") have reportedly closed deals to pen the final two instalments of the new "Star Wars" trilogy. Kasdan and Kinberg are also indeed developing stand alone Star Wars features.

Kasdan and Kinberg would also join the projects as producers with Kathleen Kennedy.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Trek 2 hits May 17th 2013

No comments: