Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chu Talks "Masters Of The Universe" Movie

"G.I. Joe: Retaliation" director Jon M. Chu has 2 big films that he's working on right now G.I. Joe 3 and the new long-in-development live-action film version of the toy line "Masters Of The Universe".

The toys and the cartoon "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" series followed He-Man, a prince who transforms into a warrior and becomes the last hope for a magical world that has been ravaged by the sinister Skeletor.

Dolph Lundgren played He-Man in the 1987 live-action film version opposite Frank Langella as the evil Skeletor.

Attempts have been made over the years to revive the "Masters" film, but the film picked up steam thanks to a script by Alex Litvak and Mike Finch called "Grayskull" (that title can no longer be used).  Richard Wenk was the last person to perform rewrites on the screenplay

Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch are producing the film.


Chu tells SHH that even with  his 'Joe' commitments he's determined to see He-Man make it back to the big screen:

"The script for 'Masters of the Universe' is what really hooked me. I love 'Masters of the Universe,' but I didn't know necessarily how to make it into a movie until I read the script and thought, 'Oh my gosh, I totally see it. I get how this is going to shake it up, I get how this is different from any other thing,' and it got me really really excited. We're still working on that one and 'Joe' has momentum right now. The audience has been great and they want another one, so we're rushing to get that done and Dwayne has a certain time period so it may end up that 'Joe' goes first in all those things and I don't know if 'Masters of the Universe' will wait for me or where that's going to end up. But right now it's been great. We've been designing a ton of stuff for 'Masters of the Universe' as a really beautiful, grounded, honest world - that's the best way I can describe it. It's everything you want 'Masters of the Universe' to be in terms of the fantasy but not in a way theatrical crazy way. It is actually a gorgeous world that we're doing in the initial visual concepts that we've been making"

No comments: