Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Reason I Did NOT Buy Star Trek Into Darkness On Disc

Star Trek Into Darkness warps its way onto Blu-ray Blu-ray 3-D and standard DVD today...And you would think that since I liked the film that I would be chomping at the bit to get my copy. Under normal circumstances that would be true.

Not this time--Thanks to the way the geniuses at Paramount Pictures totally botched the rollout--Having "exclusive" bonus content spread across retailers Best Buy and Target--as well as on iTunes if you download the film. That my friends totally sucks! As both a Trek fan and a film collector...I guess Paramount figures Trekkers are made of money and will spend whatever it takes if they want to see all of the bonus content. I am a big fan of Capitalism and I understand that the studio is in business to make a profit--But I actually think that this tactic may come back to bite them.

I preordered STID on Blue-ray as soon as it became available on Amazon. I was excited, given that the Three-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray of "Star Trek" was jam packed with extras right out of the gate. The release won raves all around and was a top seller 4 years ago...I thought history would repeat itself.


Nope.

During the last week in August Trekcore posted a breakdown of which bonus feature "exclusives"can be found where. After taking that all in I cancelled my order. If every one who liked the film followed my example --the studio might get it. I am hoping there will be a better Blu-ray of STID down the road--the problem is that it may take a looong time. The studio has yet to release the "Director's Editions" of  Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country on Bu-ray...Glad I held on to the standard discs.

For now...Thanks Paramount--you really know how to take care of me as a Trek fan--who has been very loyal over the years amid double dips galore. Enjoy this disc release of "Into Darkness"

No comments: