Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 Days Of Horror Day 10: Scream

Today director Jason Christopher's talks about his childhood fear of Ghostface thanks to the original Scream as this special month long event celebrating horror movies rolls along!


The 1996 horror flick that brought back the horror genre, and then, revamped it. In the early 90’s horror was done. In my opinion the last horror movie of the 80’s that was amazing was, The Intruder, I will talk about that later...

The early 90’s really offered nothing. Horror was dead and it seemed liked comedies were the “it” thing. That is until Kevin Williamson wrote this script, originally titled, Scary Movie. It was this script that was given to horror master himself, Wes Craven. He said No at first. Soon after he changed his mind.

The movie follows, Sidney Campbell played by the wonderful Canadian actress, Neve Campbell. Sidney has a horrible backstory to cope with like the murder of her mother, only later to find out that a killer is terrorizing the streets of Woodsboro--one dressed in all black with a mask known as, Ghost Face.

Sidney’s school friends get killed off one by one and soon, the killer is after her. Sidney’s boyfriend, Billy Loomis, becomes a prime suspect and locked up. Sid's best pal Tatum, played by the gorgeous Rose McGowan, and her boyfriend played by Matthew Lillard throw a huge house party at the end of the movie, leaving the last act to unfold in the same location.

I remember when I was younger; this movie scared the crap out of me. I was nine years old and watching this movie on my parent’s bedroom floor, typical Friday night. I remember staying home alone one time and playing Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis (yep), and I swear I saw the flapping black cloak the killer wears in the movie, run from hallway to kitchen. I swear! It was one of those things where I kept psyching myself out. My imagination kept on going and going. It’s the something I miss the most about when I was a kid, getting scared by horror movies. This is one of those movies and that’s why it has stuck with me so much over the years.

Thank God this movie came out, if not, who knows where horror would be today. The only problem I have with this movie is that it sort of is a rip off of Black Christmas (1974). Killer stalks a victim by calling and then kills them. Whatever, that film was over 20 years old when Scream came out. Using the same name, Billy, just like in Black Christmas. Using the same last name, Sam Loomis, in Williamson’s favorite movie, Halloween.

The original movie spawned three sequels. Scream 2 is probably my favorite out of the group though. Randy played by Jamie Kennedy is top notch in the sequel…that’s all I’ll say. Even Linda Blair makes a cameo in the first one! It’s a fun movie, definitely check it out!

21 days till Halloween.

-Jay

No comments: