Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Ivan Reitman Explains Why He Won't Helm "Ghostbusters III"

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II director Ivan Reitman talked to SpinOff Online about his reasons for stepping out of the director's chair for the long in-development "Ghostbusters 3" at  Sony Pictures.


Reitman says: "A number of things pushed against [directing the movie]. One, I wasn't getting any younger. I'd already done two of them, and I only had so many movies left."

Bill Murray's reluctance to be involved factored in as well: "I spoke to him three years ago when there was no script, and he just didn't want to talk about it. I don't think he ever read drafts as much as he's advertised that he has; I think he was embarrassed to say otherwise."

What brought it home though was the passing of co-star Harold Ramis: "[That] really focused all of those things, suddenly. I just decided a few weeks ago, two days after I came back from Chicago for his funeral, that yeah, it's time. I suddenly felt excited about producing a movie with other people directing Ghostbusters, and seeing the opportunity for new ideas and kind of a fresh take for some of the things we built into this draft."

The existing script was penned by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky and was said to be "excellent" with input from Dan Aykroyd--what's the status of the project?

"We're just starting that process. We'll see how it goes."

"The Lego Movie" helmers Phil Lord and Chris Miller are reportedly in talks to direct the 

No comments: